Sunday, July 4, 2010

Time flies...

So much to say! I haven't written due to several reasons - but have finally sat down to write an update. Here's what's been happening on this end:
Was able to visit a nearby township through our partner programme, Open Schools. Open Schools utilizes local volunteers in townships to tutor children who aren't in school to a a third grade level so that they can get into school. The children listen to lessons provided by TWR, then work through a workbook with the volunteer "teacher." It's an excellent programme. We visited a woman's home who has so very little, yet she is tutoring over 75 children IN HER DIRT YARD. They meet in the afternoons and rotate between ages. The curriculum is faith-based and written specifically for children who need to be tutored. We went to help built a "roof" for her school area and basically to check in and see how she was doing. It was so heart-warming to meet this woman and see her dedication.
The township itself was so sad - people have made houses out of corrugated metal and scraps, there was no grass, and no toilets. We also were able to visit a children's home for orphans, neglected children, and children in dangerous situations. It was very good to go there, but again, very sad. These children have nothing, and not enough adults to take care of them. The centre was in great need of proper facilities and volunteers. I hung out with several girls for about 20 minutes while they played with my hair and held my hands and asked me all sorts of questions. When it was time to go, they were already sad - after only 20 minutes! One of the girls looked down sadly and said, "Please don't go." My heart was so sad...these children are in desperate need of parents who love them and will raise them according to the Bible. They also need someone to counsel them after the trauma they have been through. It is great that they have a simple shelter, but they need so much more than that.
My research on orphans has been shocking. There are over 14 million orphans in Africa, with an expected 10 million more within the next few years. These orphans are the result of AIDS, but also other sicknesses, poverty, and hunger. Let me get on a soap-box here for just a few sentences: the Church has GOT to do something about these precious children. It is not enough to come and speak to them about Jesus - they need a mother and a father who will show them Jesus. The Bible talks so much about caring for people in distress, especially orphans. James 1:27: Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress..." I myself am praying about how to help and I encourage you to do the same. Ok, now I'll step down off my soapbox...=)
Another place I've been able to visit is with another partner organization of TWR, Business Against AIDS. I went with the founder to a community centre to help with a presentation for children about HIV/AIDS. How it works is BAA teaches 5 children a drama called "Dr. T Cell" about AIDS where they act out different parts of the immune system and viruses. Then the children act out the drama in front of their peers - it's excellent. Seeing these children was special to me; many of them (again) are orphans or are bussed in from nearby townships. They are on holiday now so it's a great place for them to come for a meal (perhaps the only one they receive for the entire day) and some fun. With Dr. T Cell, they also are able to learn about HIV/AIDS.
At work, I have been doing a lot of things: research on Malaria, doing programme summaries, and brainstorming for possible new programmes. I've said it before, but it is SO true: I really enjoy my co-workers. Their love for the LORD is overflowing and unifying. Although there are people from all different denominations and socio-economic backgrounds, at TWR, everyone is seen the same. The ministry is run through a servant-leadership model, and it is wonderful.
Outside of work, I've been able to do some really fun things. I've watched so many soccer games (on TV or big screen, not live, although I'd like to see one live before it's over) and have gotten more and more into it. There is always a braai and a game to watch - food and fun! Now that RSA, USA, and Brazil are out, I'm pulling for the Netherlands. Go orange! I also went to the Bruma Market for some African crafts, attended a Live DVD recording of a popular artist here - Uche, and even went to a 4th of July braai today at a friend from work's house. I made an American flag cake, and everyone loved it.
On the sad side of things, one of our co-workers lost her seven year old daughter this week. She was in a bicycle accident and passed away Friday. Please keep the Heimann family in your prayers as they go through the loss.
Personally, I've been learning so much from God's word and in everyday circumstances. There have been several times where He has used His Word, song, and people to speak truth to me, and I am so grateful for those moments. I am continuing to seek Him for truth and direction. Please pray for me for wisdom during my last month here.
As music is very meaningful to me, I'll leave again with a song. This simple chorus has been in my head ever since I heard it two weeks ago. Whenever I sing it, it convicts me.

You won't relent until You have it all
My heart is Yours
You won't relent until You have it all
My heart is Yours

He is working on my life, even in hard circumstances, to bring to a place where I am completely His.

Arrie

No comments: